EPAfrica is at an important and exciting stage in its development, as we evolve in response to the challenges that Covid-19 has brought and go through the process of developing a new long-term strategy.
As part of the strategy refresh process we are reviewing our brand and communications channels, and looking to develop a new plan for external communications moving forwards. This plan will map communications objectives and activities across the UK, Kenya and Uganda, with a focus on developing and rolling out a refreshed brand, engaging EPAfrica’s schools and network in East Africa, mobilising EPAfrica’s alumni network and recruiting volunteers, and engaging donors.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Communications Manager will play a pivotal role in driving forwards the charity’s external engagement as we look towards launching our refreshed strategy and kickstarting our next cycle of volunteer recruitment.
Communications Manager responsibilities include:
- Working with the Board of Directors and Trustees, lead on the development of an EPAfrica communications plan, dovetailing with the development of a new organizational strategy (a strategy refresh process is currently underway)
- Manage content planning for EPAfrica’s communication channels, identifying potential blogs and news stories and working across teams to plan and develop content, including internal communications with existing volunteers and alumni
- Update and maintain the EPAfrica website (WordPress)
- Commission and edit blog posts and news articles
- Manage EPAfrica’s Twitter, Facebook and Linkedin channels, creating and coordinating social media content
- Support the development of design assets and brand materials
- Support EPAfrica events and recruitment activities
- Develop communications KPIs and track digital analytics.
This is a voluntary position and the majority of work is undertaken remotely (though there may be some in person meetings or events, covid-19 permitting). You would need to have reliable internet connectivity in order to undertake the role. The expected time commitment is approximately five hours a week, which is largely flexible but with some pre-arranged meetings (virtual or in person) including weekends and evenings.
This is a growth role, and ideal for someone looking to develop skills and build expertise towards a career in communications, with a range of opportunities for coaching and mentorship.
We are looking to recruit someone with the following skills and experience:
- Excellent written and editorial skills, with strong attention to detail
- Experience in writing for the web and day-to-day running of social media accounts
- Basic design and photo editing skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work independently as well as within a team
- Ability to tailoring messaging and content to EPAfrica’s key stakeholders in East Africa and the UK
- The ability to perform whilst working remotely
- Interest in international development and education
- Experience in marketing, communications, public relations, or a similar field (desirable – this could have been in an internship or university setting).
- Experience in using content management systems (preferably WordPress) (desirable)
- Experience working in East Africa or on issues related to the region (desirable).
This role reports into the Chief Operating Officer, working closely with both the Board of Directors and the Board of Trustees. You will have the opportunity to recruit your own team of volunteers to support you for this work, with resourcing requirements to be agreed with the COO and HR Manager.